Lost Pubs in our Area

Pubs no longer in existence or in serious decline in our Area

Pub Name Address Comments

Barley Sheaf



Lower Bond Street Adjacent to the former Atkins' factory. It is supposed to have the oldest vaults in town, dating back to the 1600s. The hostelry appears in a newspaper advertisement, 1799 (Leicester Journal, 19 July). It is listed as the Barley Sheaf in Holden's 1808-11 Directories but as the Barley Mow in Pigot's Directory of 1822-23
Has been closed since 2005 & stood empty & deteriorating until recently re-opened as an Indian restaurant.

Bishop Blaize Inn



Stood near the old Liberal Club in the now demolished block of buildings at the junction of the Borough and Mansion Street It was probably seventeenth century, half-timbered with brick in-fill. Pulled down in 1931 as part of a road widening scheme.

Blue Bell



8 Bond Street Adjoining The Duke of Rutland. Opened circa 1774, demolished in 1931 for road widening at the junction of Mansion Street

Blue Boar


33 Regent Street Formerly The King's Head was open in 1802. A fish shop by 1930

Boot Inn

Lost Pub

25 Coventry Road Demolished in 1954
Picture is old postcard of Fosse Harriers meet, c.1905

Britannia

15, Stockwell Head. Opened circa 1809, closed & demolished circa 1910

Bull's Head Inn



6, Market Place First recorded 1659, situated on the site at the foot of Castle Street now occupied by the Woolwich Building Society
George Canning, stayed here in 1807, famously describing it as '...the vilest inn, in the nastiest town, in the dirtiest country that imagination can conceive'. However, later that year he took up residence at Castle Hill House, staying until April 1811, when he moved to nearby Burbage. The inn was regularly used for assemblies etc. It was also used for sales of property, auctions and other business purposes. It had over thirty rooms and stabling for more than a hundred horses. In the 1840s it acted as the excise and posting office.

Cap And Stocking

Bond Street Nothing known

Coach & Horses

Coventry Road Nothing known

Commercial Inn

Market Place Nothing known

Cross Keys

Upper Castle Street Nothing known

Crown Hotel



78 Castle Street Demolished 1980s to make way for Castle Court

Crown & Anchor

106 Castle Street Closed in 1950s

Dolphin

Leicester Road or Mill St (Victoria St.) Closed in 1850s

Dun Cow

Castle Street Nothing known

Fox & Grapes

Bond Street. Nothing known

Galaxy



67 Boyslade Road, Burbage Change of use to a convenience store was submitted in 2011, despite many objections from locals the application was approved and the pub was lost.

Globe



Junction of Church Street/Station Road, next to the present St. Mary's Junior School. Demolished 1905

Half Moon



43 Stockwell Head
On the site now occupied by the Britannia Centre.
Demolished 1960 - Picture 1960, awaiting the bulldozer.

Harrow Inn

Stood on the Watling Street (A5), close to where the Harrow Brook crosses the road. Originally a drovers' inn, later a popular venue for illegal bare-knuckle fights

Hollybush



1 Upper Bond Street
Until closure, it appeared in the CAMRA National Inventory of Pub Interiors
Remodelled in Moderne style in the 1930s, closed 2005
Of over 60,000 pubs in the UK, a mere 250 have interiors of outstanding heritage interest, so this comes as a sad loss.
December 2009 reopened as a restaurant - now closed again  

Horse & Jockey

Stockwell Head Nothing known

Jolly Bacchus



1 Market Place Reputedly built on the site of a Bakehouse It was a half-timbered building with stucco façade, prominent and somewhat grander than most of the public houses in the town. The brewhouse was alongside. Closed in 1920s

Kings Head

69 Castle Street Opened c1819, closed c1916. Sox Shop occupies part of original building.

Lichfield Tavern

Coventry Road Open c1870,closed in 1960s. Demolished, stood near to Hall's car park

Middlefield Inn



Tudor Road Built along with surrounding municipal housing in the 1930s. Punch Taverns sold it in November 2011 when it was demolished and a care home was built on the site.

Nag's Head

Castle Street Records from 1809 until 1835.

Navigation

Coventry Road, near the present Wharf public house Nothing known

New Inn

108 Castle Street Closed 1973, was opposite Hill St.

Pig & Whistle

37 Regent Street Later the Castle Inn, subsequently the Post Office and the Regent Club & Institute. Now shops.

Plough

21 Stockwell Head Records from 1682. It was known in its early days as the Pensioners Club. It was recorded that there were more pensioners in Hinckley than any other town of its size in England. Demolished 1906 (Hinckley Times)

Puncheon And Grapes

The Borough Closed c1841

Red Lion

17 The Borough. Demolished. Former coaching inn on the site now occupied by MacDonalds!

Red Lion

63-65 Castle Street Previously the Black Boye. By 1847 it had been converted into a shop. The brew house still stands behind 67 Castle Street

Rose & Crown

Castle Street Nothing known

Royal Oak

29 Mansion Street Adjacent to Hinckley Liberal Club By 1930 it had become a house.

Star

18 Stockwell Head Records from 1745, closed c1912 : By 1930 it was a newsagent's premises.

Steering Wheel



Hollycroft Originally Hollycroft House, the residence of Thomas Atkins, built c1874. Later known as 'The Spinning Wheel' (1982), and still later 'The Manor'. Demolished in 2002 and a private housing estate built on the site

Sun

Stockwell Head Nothing known

Three Tuns

7 Stockwell Head Opened c1800, closed c1910

Town Hall Arms

1 Market Place Was open for about 50 years until c1912. Occupied the Town Hall, built in 1806, and now the premises of Barclays Bank.

Venison Inn

Bond Street Nothing known

Victoria Hotel



38 Castle Street Built c1890 and closed July 1960 and then demolished for shop development

Waggon & Horses

The Wharf, Coventry Road Closed c1850

White Hart



5 Market Place Demolished 1976. Site now occupied by Yorkshire Bank

White Horse Inn

Market Place Nothing known

White Lion

Lower Bond Street Nothing known, demolished 1932

We are sure this list is by no means complete and may contain errors, if you have any information about any pub listed here,
or any other pub that is not listed, please let us know.

Is your local threatened with closure/demolition/change of use?
It is now often possible to stop this happening, for more information, contact our Pubs Preservation Officer, or initially look at our 'Asset of Community Value' (ACVs) page

We are indebted to Tim Parry and his excellent website for most of the photos and some of the text.
If you are interested in Hinckley buildings, past & present, I recommend Tim's website.



Back to Branch Area Beer History